Two-Year and Four-Year College In our modern world, most high school graduates find it essential to continue their education and training beyond high school. The average annual income for individuals with an Associate's Degree (two-year) is almost twice what someone with only a high school diploma can earn. The earnings for a Bachelor's Degree (four-year) can be three times more. Some students who begin their college studies at a two-year college go on to earn their Bachelor's Degree. Regardless of your future goals, planning is essential. The following information should be considered as you select your high school courses.

Community/Junior College Some students find that their plans to attend college are better fulfilled at a Community/Junior College. Community and Junior Colleges fall into two categories: Study at a Community/Junior College can lead to a certificate or an Associate's Degree in a specific career field, or it can be used as a stepping stone to a four-year college. Careful selection of and success in courses at the Community/Junior College allow students to transfer into four-year colleges as juniors, so that a Bachelor's degree can be earned after four years of study. Many Community/Junior Colleges have articulation agreements with four-year colleges so that students can transfer easily. Middlesex County College has articulation agreements with four-year colleges such as Rutgers, Penn State, Kean, and New Jersey Institute of Technology.

Generally, Community/Junior Colleges do not require 16 academic units, nor do they require SAT/ACT scores for admission. Depending upon the program of study, there may be specific course work required at the high school level, or special entrance tests for particular programs.

At many schools a Minimum Basic Skills Test is required for placement into college level courses. It is recommended that students research schools and programs of interest to them and consult with their counselors.

Four-Year College Students planning to apply to four-year colleges will want to develop the strongest possible academic record. There is not one program that is right for everyone, but you should keep the following information in mind:

Admission to college is based on a picture of the applicant obtained from the examination of: As part of the high school record, colleges look for courses that are COLLEGE PREPARATORY in content and level of work required. Such courses are considered ACADEMIC UNITS. A total of sixteen units taken from grades 9-12 are generally the minimum required for college entrance. While each college prescribes the number and character of the academic units it will accept, the following are the usual requirements for entrance to four-year colleges: